There are any number of things that can cause personal injuries or wrongful death in Bibb County, Georgia, and these things can be the result of someone’s intentional, willful, reckless or accidental actions. Those things that are most often caused by the negligence are:
- Car and Truck Accidents. In Bibb County, there were 7,857 crashes in 2017, which resulted in 3,550 personal injuries and 34 fatalities.
- Medical Malpractice. In 2016, there were 920 medical malpractice claims made in Georgia, with 563 receiving adverse action and another 259 resulting in medical malpractice payments.
- Slip and Fall Cases. In Georgia, unintentional falls rank as the third leading cause of death. In Bibb County, falls are the leading cause of visits to the emergency room, with 3,274 visits by children age 1 – 19 (2007-2011), and 1,815 by adults (2006-2010).
- Work-Related Injuries. There were 70 fatalities and 2,800 personal injury cases reported throughout Georgia in 2013.
- Products Liability Claims. Nationwide, product liability claims make up 13 percent of all personal injury claims.
Elements of Personal Injury Claims in Bibb County
If negligence played a role in your personal injury then you may have a claim for damages for whatever percentage you were not at fault. Four elements must generally be present in order for your injury claim to be successful:
- Duty of Care. Someone had a duty of care towards you.
- Breach of Duty. Someone who had a duty of care towards you breached that duty.
- Causation. The breach of duty of care caused your injuries.
- Damages. The breach of duty did, in fact, cause physical and/or emotional damages.
In Georgia, if the personal injury was caused by a defective product, the plaintiff(s) can often allege both negligence and/or strict liability against the defendant(s).
Personal Injury Damages Available in Bibb County, GA
If you have been injured or a family member has wrongfully died, then you can seek compensation to help with the damages. Damages that can be recovered are usually lumped into three categories:
- Economic Damages. These damages include anything that already has a price tag on it, namely: property damage repairs, medical expenses, funeral expenses, treatment and/or therapy, travel expenses, and past and future lost wages.
- Non-Economic Damages. These damages include other types of damages or harm, namely: pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment of life, and loss of consortium.
- Punitive Damages. These damages are sometimes limited to $250,000 and are generally only awarded in cases where the plaintiff presents clear and convincing evidence of willful, malicious, fraudulent, or wanton misconduct on the part of the defendant(s).
Experienced Personal Injury Attorney
In Bibb County, personal injuries happen in high numbers, and accompanying those numbers are high financials costs. Members of Bibb County’s community cannot afford the inherent financial and emotional toll of personal injuries or wrongful death. An experienced and resourceful lawyer can recover damages on your behalf while you recover from your injuries or loss. Contact Gautreaux Law at (478) 238-9758 for a free consultation today.