An auto accident is one of the main causes of injury and death in Georgia. Car wrecks can cause physical and emotional injury, as well as financial strain. A person injured or the family of a loved one killed due to the negligence of another driver can get overwhelmed when dealing with the insurance companies and other stresses.
Call an Attorney After Your Auto Accident
One of the main reasons someone seeks our help after an auto accident is because they feel like they’re getting the “run-around” from the insurance companies; they are not being treated with respect and compassion. To an insurance company, an injured person is just another claim. But to the Macon attorneys at Gautreaux Law, every client is treated like we would want to be treated if we hired a lawyer to represent us or our family members.
Damages in Auto Accidents
When a person brings a personal injury claim against another for a negligent act, they typically seek certain types of damages for what transpired during the incident. Depending on the severity of the accident a person can claim several different types of damages. Damages commonly seen in auto accidents can include:
- Medical Bills – We all know how exorbitant these can be. A lawyer can help you get reimbursed for medical treatment that is needed because of the wreck. This may include but is not limited to:
- CT Scans, X-rays or MRIs
- Physical Therapy
- Doctor’s Visits
- Transportation to and from Doctor’s Visits
- Medication and Medical Care Devices
- Rehabilitation or Counseling
- In-Home Medical Care
- Future Medical Bills – This includes any future treatment you need as a result of the injuries sustained in your accident. For example, maybe you injured your back and are going to need back surgery. You may be compensated for the anticipated expense of having such surgery.
- Lost Income – This includes income you lost because of your injury. For example, if you are a school bus driver and your leg is broken in an accident, you may not be able to work for several weeks. If so, the income you lost by not being able to work may be considered in your compensation.
- Future Lost Income – Much like future medical bills, this is any income you expect to forego because of your injury. If you need back surgery, you may be out of work for weeks or months.
- Pain and Suffering – To determine compensation for pain and suffering, one must consider the amount of pain or suffering a person has endured as a result of their injury. This can be difficult, since it is very different from person to person, depending on the circumstances. For example, a pianist who suffers 2 broken hands from a car accident would likely suffer differently from a singer who has the same injury but doesn’t need their hands to sing.
- Funeral Costs: The grim reality of auto accidents is that they can sometimes result in tragedy. If a person dies in an accident, their surviving family members or another representative may pursue damages for the funeral costs during their case.
Georgia does not have any strict numerical general damage “caps” on personal injury claims, which means that when a person brings a claim, the law does not impose strict numerical limits on what amounts may be granted in damages. Typically, the amount of damages will be decided by a jury, except in unusual cases.
We Are Not a Legal Mill
Unlike lawyers who try to handle hundreds or thousands of car wreck cases, we are selective about the cases we take. Macon auto accident attorney Jarome Gautreaux will not take on so many cases that he can’t speak personally to clients. Jarome is available to talk with clients and meet face-to-face. And he is happy to take cases to trial if his clients don’t want to settle for whatever the insurance company is offering. Gautreaux Law has been involved in jury trials all across Georgia, from Atlanta to Macon to Albany, and other counties throughout the State. The two things that set us apart are close, personal attention to our clients, and the willingness, ability, and experience to take cases to trial if necessary.
Attorney Jarome Gautreaux and staff will help you deal with the numerous issues that come up in even the simplest auto accident in Macon, or any other location in Georgia. We can help with all of these issues:
- How are my medical bills going to be paid?
- If my health insurance company pays my medical bills, do I have to pay them back?
- How do I know what my claim is worth? Should I talk to the insurance companies?
- How long does the process take?
- Do we have to file a lawsuit, or can the claim be settled out of court?
- How is the attorney paid?
These are all important questions, and we can help you get answers. For more information, please visit the Frequently Asked Questions section of our website, call us at 478-238-9758, or complete our contact form.