This Small Change Can Save You Thousands If You’re Injured In An Auto Or Truck Wreck In Georgia

Bill and Jen were in separate, unrelated car accidents, where each sustained similar injuries. In both cases, the driver who hit them had $25,000 of insurance.  Jen recovered $100,000 for her injuries, but Bill only recovered $25,000. How did this happen? And how can you make sure you have enough insurance if you are injured in an auto or truck wreck in Georgia?

Here’s the short answer: Buy Uninsured/Underderinsured Motorist Coverage. That’s what Jen did but Bill didn’t do. Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM) Coverage protects you when you’re injured in an auto or truck wreck by a careless or negligent driver who doesn’t have enough insurance.

Under Georgia law, drivers are supposed to carry at least $25,000 liability insurance coverage. But that is rarely enough for any type of serious injury. For example, treatment for orthopedic injuries, such as broken bones, can often cost $50,000 – $100,000, after surgical, hospital, and rehabilitation costs are included.   And that doesn’t include the amount of lost wages that you may lose when you are out of work getting treatment for your injuries.

Some people think that just because someone else injured you in a car wreck, the person at fault will pay for all your injuries. And if you happen to be injured by Donald Trump, that may be true. But many people who carry the minimum $25,000 liability insurance (or no insurance at all) may not have enough money to pay for your injuries when your injuries get above the $25,000 of available liability insurance. That’s why it’s so important to buy UM insurance coverage.

From our experience dealing with many folks injured in auto or truck wrecks, the extra small increase in premiums of getting high limits of UM coverage is really insignificant when you consider the peace of mind you can have, knowing that if you are seriously injured you will have adequate insurance coverage.