It’s not even a month into the New Year and the City of Macon has already had five auto accident fatalities. In 2016 Macon saw a total of 23 fatalities from car accidents. If things continue as they are, the Middle Georgia city will see a much higher number of fatalities in 2017.
According to the Bibb County Coroner, Leon Jones, speed was a contributing factor in all five accidents. Other common reasons for auto accidents include:
- Head-on collisions, often caused by a car crossing the center line;
- Pulling out into the path of an oncoming car, often resulting in a t-bone type collision;
- Running a stop sign or traffic light at an intersection;
- Rear ending a car, usually from following too closely or not paying attention;
- Distracted driving – caused by texting, talking on the phone, eating, fooling with the radio, etc.; or
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Last year, Fox 24 published a list of Macon’s ten most dangerous intersections(meaning those with the most accidents) based on data from 2015. They were:
- Gray Highway and Shurling Drive (59 collisions; 28 injuries)
- Riverside Drive and Northside Drive (47 collisions; 15 injuries)
- Mercer University and Log Cabin Drive (45 collisions; 5 injuries)
- Gray Highway and Clinton Road (44 collisions, 25 injuries)
- Eisenhower Parkway and Log Cabin Drive (42 collision; 19 injuries)
- Pio Nono Avenue and Rocky Creek Road (41collisions; 13 injuries)
- Mercer University and Bloomfield Road (39 collisions; 37 injuries) *
- Riverside Drive and Spring Street (36 collisions; 15 injuries)
- Riverside Drive and Pierce Avenue (36 collisions; 10 injuries)
- Zebulon Road and Peake Road (29 collisions; 16 injuries)
* Had the highest number of injuries and the highest percentage of injuries. Almost every accident resulted in injury.
As the data shows, there are hundreds of auto accidents that occur in Macon in a year’s time, and you never know when you’re going to be involved in one of them. Auto accidents are upsetting and stressful. In all the confusion, people often don’t know if they need a lawyer to handle their case. Not everyone who’s in a car accident needs a lawyer.
There are two reasons to always contact a Personal Injury Attorney after you’ve been in auto accident:
- If you’ve suffered a physical injury (always go to the doctor if you’re injured)
- If you’ve suffered a monetary loss (i.e., lost wages due to not being able to work)
If you’re involved in a minor car accident with no injuries, you may be fine dealing with the insurance company about any property damage to your vehicle. If you’re injured, however, it never hurts to contact a personal injury lawyer for a free consultation. It’s only a consultation, and you’re under no obligation to hire the attorney. Any experienced, reputable attorney will be honest about whether or not he/she thinks they can get you a better financial recovery for your injuries than you could get handling the case on your own.
Gautreaux Law is a personal injury law firm in Macon, Georgia with years of experience handling auto accident cases. Contact us anytime, night or day, by completing a contact form on our website, or call us during normal business hours M-F at 478-238-9758, or toll free at 888-876-6935.